Check out this Chinese shrimp recipe with detailed instructions and learn how Chinese use stir-frying method to cook shrimp with an extremely easy method.
To see cooking process of this dish, please watch Americans in Chinese Kitchens Episode 1: Homemade Shandong Cuisine.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 8 min
- Peanut oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, heads removed, deveined – peels and tails left on
- 5 Chinese Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Shanxi mature vinegar
- 10 tablespoons rice cooking wine
- 2 pieces garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
In a bowl, combine one tablespoon of salt, Shanxi mature vinegar, rice cooking wine and half bowl of water.
Heat a large pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add enough peanut oil to coat the pan and heat the oil for about 20 to 30 seconds. Add peppercorns and garlic slices. When the smells of peppercorns and garlic come out, add the shrimp. Stir-fry the shrimp until it just starts to turn pink. Add sliced garlic, stirring frequently. Slowly pour in the prepared sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Place a lid over the pan and leave the shrimp simmer for 30 seconds. Add garlic powder and 1 tablespoons of salt, and stir-fry the shrimp for 10 seconds. Transfer everything to a plate. Add chopped green onions, chopped cilantro and sesame oil and serve.