Check out this Chinese Whole Chicken Recipe with detailed instructions. This is a famous Yunnan cuisine and the dish is absolutely delicious.
To see cooking process of this dish, please watch Americans in Chinese Kitchens Episode 6: Yunnan Cuisine.
Prep: 40 min
Cook: 2.5 hours
- 1 small chicken or Cornish game hen, bones removed, meat cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 ginger slices
- 1 green onion, chopped into 2-inch-long sections
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking wine
- 1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper powder
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated
Put the hen meat into a small pot, a clay pot preferred. Add ginger slices and green onions. Mix salt, cooking wine and ground white pepper powder in small bowl. Slowly and evenly pour the cooking wine mixture onto the meat. Add mushrooms. Fill another pot with lots of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with chicken in it and put it over the other pot with boiling water for 2 hours and a half. Use wet towels to prevent steam leaking from the pot with chicken in it. When lots of juice concentrates, the dish is ready to serve.